Saturday, January 17, 2015

Training Day #8

Saturdays are my designated long run days and since this week has been a step-down week for my training program, my long run today was only 2 miles. It was great timing considering my troubling shins, and the lessened mileage certainly has helped with recovery. After a quick stretch I was prepared to take off. I intentionally tried to start out slow and gradually fell into my rhythm. I hit the 1/2 mile mark on my run much quicker than I imagined I would, but much to my surprise felt good. I managed to run a little over a mile with only about a 30 second breather around 3/4 of a mile.

I intentionally pick my routes to ensure I'm getting to hills later in my run. Why torture myself you might ask? Firstly, who wants to start off a run feeling like they're not doing great?! So the flat beginnings help give me a mental boost. Secondly, I want to make my muscles work, and so I let them get good and warmed up (and tired) before tackling hills. When I look at my splits, it definitely shows. I managed a 10:56 min/mi pace during the first mile and a 13:10 min/mi pace on mile 2. I finished strong and genuinely enjoyed my run - which is is honestly a first for me. But one I hope continues. On the down side, my shins were killing me, so I spent quite a bit of time stretching down and doing some of my PT exercises throughout the day. Here's the stats from today.




Recently, I've discovered how much I really enjoy listening to podcast during my runs. While I don't get the benefit of having a beat (which for me is actually proving a positive thing, because I'm running at my natural pace, as opposed to the beat of music) my mind is completely engaged in the story, and less focused on the running. Today, I started on the wildly successful Serial podcast series. And let me just say, I'm hooked! If you like detective type stories, then you'll love it.

While a lot of runners prefer to just run, the nerd in me really likes being able to analyze how I'm doing in terms of pace and how I respond to elevation changes. Below is today's graph and below that is last week's graph. I was most excited to see my pace line look a little flatters, which indicate more consistent pacing and less switching between walking and running. So I'm celebrating the little victories. Each day it seems that I'm making baby steps.  This coming week my milage steps back up, so I'm praying my exercises with continue to help my shin splints stay at bay. Just 4 weeks to go!

Last week's graphic (4 miles)

Until Monday - have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment