Sunday, January 4, 2015

Catching Up

When I started this running journey back in July, I had no idea where it would lead me. I had hoped to blog through the process, but honestly, those first few months were hard. Dealing with the emotions and disappointment were hard enough to process myself - let alone share with the world. Yet, as I've walked this path, I've realized how much I've search for others who have walked this journey and felt the same way I do. So, I'm making a point to get back. To share honestly and openly about me and my runs. Let me first catch you up....

Last July I started running. I had new shoes (which were pretty) and an unrealistic view of what it would be like. I ran my first 5K race in September. I trained hard, but was no where ready for the challenge. I walked a lot, and finished in 41 minutes. But I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. So I went on to run 3 more 5K's and an 8K through the end of 2014. My training was sporadic, and despite adding distance, I struggled with never being able to run for any notable distance without having to walk. And here's where I'll be honest, for a while, I felt like a failure. I cried and stomped around, thinking I should just give up. Why bother!

Thankfully, I had banded together with a couple of gals from work who helped keep me going and encouraged me. If it weren't for them, I surely would have long quit. Instead, in early December, I made a big leap and signed up to run a 15K in February - that's 9.3 miles! Crazy! I had a training program ready, made my hotel arrangements, even purchased some snazzy new shoes. Then I was struck with the most awful shin splints. I'd never experienced such a thing, but oh my word, the pain brought tears to my eyes and made me stop in my tracks. So I reluctantly spent two weeks off resting and icing.

Ready to run again, I managed a single run before falling ill with the flu and then a stomach virus. It's now 6 weeks out from my big run and I'm nervous. I'm also committed and I've come to terms with the fact that at this point, I'm neither fast nor able to run without walking. So tomorrow begins training day 1 in preparation for a 15K. I hope you'll join me for the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment