Monday, January 26, 2015

Training Day #11 & #12

Let's get to some updates shall we. I haven't been slacking in my running, just blogging. All I can say, is I've been a little beyond the city limits of crazy town, and what few minutes I have had, I've been dedicated to doing as little as possible.

So rewind back to Wednesday and training day #11. The weather was forecasted to be sunny and warm at 50 degrees. Instead of my usual treadmill run, I decided to run right after work to take advantage of the weather and daylight. Unfortunately for me, the weather didn't hit 50, but I swear the wind did. It was so cold and windy, but I covered my 4 miles.

My crazy shins started giving me some issues about 1/2 way through so I look it easy. But with 3 weeks to go until the Hot Chocolate 15K, I don't want to risk injuring my shins or legs.


My training schedule has me doing a cross-training day on Fridays, but our schedules have just not cooperated lately. After an emotionally draining week, I just couldn't muster up the energy to do much yesterday. But today - today I was ready. Sort of.

The husband is away at a middle school youth conference, which means no outdoor run for me. So I knew I would have to do my run on the treadmill. I debated whether to knock out my run during nap time or wait and do my run after the kids went to bed, and reluctantly decided trying to get it out of the way during nap time was probably my best bet. The first two miles had me thinking I would have to cut it short. My calves were tight and my shins were starting to feel it. But I kept pushing. At 2.8 miles I had to take a brief break to calm a toddler down and get him back to sleep. Just that couple of minutes, plus a GU pack, gave me the boost I needed to finish the remaining 2.2 miles fairly strong. I was actually surprised at how great I felt finishing up. Pace is still below my target, but I'm really trying to just focus on the distances and avoid pain. I know the pace will come with time. Some good stretching and heel raises helped with any lingering soreness and tightness.



I'm really hoping that things are *actually* starting to work and my training continues strong. 4 miles are coming up on Monday!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment