Monday, January 5, 2015

Training Day #1

Tonight I jumped back in the saddle - err...treadmill - and ran for the first time in several weeks due to injury and illness. I expected little for the first time out and knew going in that I had to be easy on myself. My training plan was suppose to be 3 miles. I decided to ease in and do half, which turned out to be a good call. Although I would say tonight was really more walk than run.  Within a minute of getting going my lingering cough from my bout with the flu flared up, and I spent much of my run/walk coughing in the most violent way possible. Makes running a tad bit difficult.

So here's the summary of my run tonight.




Now let's be real - a 15:09/mi pace is frankly a disappointment. I ran for portions and my time includes close to 10 minutes of warm up and cool down at relatively slow paces but honestly, I could have walked the whole time and still hit this pace.  These are the moments that make me feel a little down. Makes me question why I'm evening bothering. But I've never been, and really, most likely never will be a fast runner. At my best I managed an 11:30/mi pace in December, but that was pushing myself and in a race. I know I have to (re)start somewhere, but I struggle with not focusing on my pace. I can't help but think of it in terms of the race and at this pace it will take me 2 hours and 21 minutes to complete the race. My goal is to do it in under 2 hours or close to a 12:55/mi so I have some room to go.

But tonight is night 1. I have 40 days to go. Every little bit counts.

How's your training going? What challenges are you facing and how do you keep going despite it?

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment