Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 4 - July 6

I could wax poetically about the joys of running, but honestly, the first 3 days were terrible. My calves ached just moments into the run and I really just concentrated on not over doing it. So that leads me to Day 4.

My mother and sister kept our boys overnight and gave my husband and I some time alone. So of course, I said "Let's go for a run!" My husband is the type that can get up and run a couple of miles, even if he hasn't gone out in months. So we set off and the first quarter of a mile was good. It felt easy. Then my legs started to burn, but I kept pushing. At about the half mile mark, my lungs caught up with my legs and we had to walk.  After a short period of walking my husband convinced me to keep going, so we picked up running and I somehow managed to go another half mile. We walked the rest of the way home, but managed to cover 2 miles. 

Physically: My calves hurt far less in the first 1/2 mile but managed to keep up the whole time without without tremendous burning/pain. Breathing became easier too, but towards the end I was tired and had to concentrate on keeping my breathing even as I settled down post run.

Emotionally: I was thrilled that I'd made it further than the previous day but towards the end of the run/walk had to keep talking myself up. It's easy in the late part of the run (however short it might be in my case) to starting getting down on myself about not being able to run faster or farther.  But at the end of the day, I am running. I am doing something besides sitting on the couch. And so that's what I hold onto.  

Distance: 2 miles total. 1 mile running (6.5 mins & 5 mins), 1 mile walking.

Courtesy of http://www.gettingfitfab.com

No comments:

Post a Comment